Saturday, January 7, 2012

Use up your scraps Hop

While the new year is for new things, most scrappers have treasures hidden in their craft area. Through this blog hop we are going to use up some of our hidden items/scraps.If you are coming from Adele's Blog your in the right place!

There are 15 people participating in this hop! If you would like to start at the beginning, just head over to The Princess of scrap-Heather's blog, it will eventually bring you back here to me and end with Kathy's blog, regardless where you start you will be able to do a full circle to see all the great ideas on how to use up your scrap!


I am focusing on some per-designed bases made by Close to My Heart. I never used these, and typically if I would get them I would cut them up to use on my own layouts. So for this I am going to do both, since I have 2 of the kits.
I am starting with these 2 packs as seen in the picture below they come with 2 sheets of stickease, 4 pages that are pre-designed, 2 sheets of cardstock, and 2 B&T pattern print pages.



One thing I have found myself going oooo and "that's so cute!" is pre-designed/packaged all you need for this layout kits. When the pages are designed so you don't have to figure out picture placement its makes the layouts go fast. So fast, easy, and using up scraps I thought would be a great way to kick off the new year!

This is the first layout, I added butterflies, ribbon, opaques, and a flip flap for more pictures and journaling. The flower card opens up and that's where the journaling goes.

With the flip flap open.

The flower on the journaling card was an old flower laying around my desk. To make it like new I added pearl paint to it. To do this I simply squirted a little bit of the paint on a big thick brush, then gently brushed it around till I had an even coat.

To add color to the layout I took my Twilight ink, and sponge daubed the butterflies. Then to give them more dimension I took my liquid applique to the body of the butterfly.
Taking the craft heater to the butterflies after applying the liquid applique gave it a puffy look.

The flower die cut was made with the cricut using the Art Philosophy cartridge. The film strip is from Tim Holtz, and the beads I strung on a earring post then attached them to the layout with a brad.

This layout as can be seen has a flip flap that goes with it.

This is the layout with out the flip flap. I haven't picked how I am doing the titling or which title I am putting on this layout yet, which is why the space is still blank.

This is the other side of the flip flap. To get the metal look on the flowers I used the vintage photo crackle paint to paint the flowers and let dry. I then took the Create-a- shade Pearl Paint by Close to my heart over the crackle paint and let it dry.


Thank you for checking out what I am doing with my scraps, this has got me looking for more scraps to work with! Now if you "hop" on to Kathy's blog you can get some more great ideas on what to do with your scraps!

8 comments:

  1. very very nice,,, ty for the tips.. i am new to this and i want to make some scrapbooks,, need all the help i can get.. :) lindaplusthree at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your beautiful lay outs. I love how you made the old flower new again.



    http://racincrafts.blogspot.com/ or
    racincrafts at aim dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What pretty LOs! I have some of these and like you, I always chopped them up. Maybe I should go back and try a few of them.
    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your welcome Auntie Em! I found it a fun challenge to actually do the layouts as they were intended and then just dress them up to where they weren't so plain jane. And they are so quick!

    Carla the flowers were def. my fav. thing with these LOs! =)

    ReplyDelete