Sunday, January 15, 2012

Technique Blog Hop

 January Technique Blog hop- make your own argyle

Welcome to our Technique Blog Hop! This month there are 13 of us highlighting the make your own argyle technique as shown on page 91 in the Autumn/Winter 2011 Idea Book! This blog hop is a great big circle so you can start wherever you want and continue through to see all the fabulous artwork incorporating this technique. If you would like to start from the beginning, please visit this link to Debi Barber's blog. While there you will also find a listing of all participants and their blog addresses if you should get lost or want to reference a blog along the way. Let’s get started!

If you are coming from Tonya's Blog, you are on the right track!



I chose to do the original layout with out using the example stamp set on page 91. The stamp set is great to make the diamond shape to get your argyle going, but it is not limited to that stamp set. So I used the cricut to make sure I had nice straight even diamonds, and for added dimension I threw in some stitching.




I started by using triangle I cut off of the cricut using the art philosophy cartridge. This same type of triangle is perfect for banners.This triangle is <Banner4> and I make it 1.5"
I think took the triangles and lined them up to make diamonds. To give it a little variance I had the diamonds alternation in placement and in design. As shown above.
To really give it that argyle look I then lined up my ruler to cross in the centers of the triangles as possible. Doing this I used the guild holes in my rule to make straight lined holes for stitching. Once all the holes were in place I used my embroidery floss (3 strands) and did a back stitch. When I was finished with a line I would just tape off the thread with acid free tape on the back.





The stitching can be seen here. I did a back stitch to get none broken flowing lines. Brads were used on page 91 of the Idea book for the original argyle. As can bee seen in this photo I started to do that to see how it would look. However, instead of putting it at the points of the paper diamonds, I was doing it with the stitched diamonds. I wasn't sure how I felt about it so I left it with the two to look at it before putting any more holes in my layout!
My hubby liked the brads so I finished them out. Then added my title via the Cricut, and for my journaling it has the Tigger song. I had thought about adding a bouncing tigger but it looks great the way it is, so bouncing tigger may have to wait for the next one!
Note: for the left page I used <square7> at 10.5" with the Art philosophy cartridge.






To make this layout I used the following Close To My Heart Supplies.

Supply List:
Cricut Art Philosophy Collection: Z1686
Elemental Level 2 paper pack: X7141B
Elemental Complements dimensional elements: X7141C
Natural embroidery floss assortment: Z1096
Pewter designer brads: Z1146




Thanks for stopping by! Please continue onto Rachel's Blog where you will find some additional artwork highlighting this technique! Be sure to leave a comment and let me know what you thought of my variation and happy hopping!

P.S. To catch other great layouts like this and projects follow me on Pinterest.

6 comments:

  1. I love it! Tigger, Argyle, Stitching! All amazing. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the stitching and brads also! Never thought about simply using our AP cartridge and pattern paper --- way to think out of the box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so much fun to use cricut cut triangles!!! The stitching really finishes it.

    ReplyDelete